Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

Article Index

 

The University of Kansas, on the summit of Mount Oread, overlooks the broad Kansas River Valley on the north and the historic valley of the Wakarusa on the south. The 160-acre campus is noted for its purple lilac hedge in the spring and for the scenic panorama of one of the richest sections of the State. University buildings, for the most part, border a drive that follows the crest of the ridge. Below the drive, on the north, is a broad expanse of woodland and bluegrass that stretches down the slope to the stadium and athletic field. Potter's Lake, a placid little pond, which in the morning light reflects the great bulk of the Administration Building, lies in a hollow near the western edge of the campus.

Because of its proximity to Kansas City, Mo., the University draws a considerable portion of its student body from that city. The rhythmic "Rockchalk, Jayhawk, K. U." battle cry of the Kansas "Jayhawks" is outstanding among college yells. The famous yell is a rallying cry for former Kansans the world over. It was heard in the Philippine jungles where former students fought as members of the 2oth Kansas Regiment, and on the battlefields of France.

Freshmen and other new students pledge fidelity to K. U. and its ideals in the symbolic torch ceremony which is usually held during the last week in September. The ceremony begins on North College Hill, the site of the first building, where the novitiates are told the story of the University's beginning. Members of the Torch Society kindle a beacon fire and, as the new students march down the hill to the stadium, a runner lights a torch from the fire and carries it to the Rock Chalk Cairn where a second fire is kindled. In the stadium the students gather about an altar of fire which burns before an illuminated seal of the University. Representatives of the freshman class are handed flaming torches by upperclassmen, symbolizing the transference of culture and knowledge. After a brief address by the chancellor, the students pledge allegiance by repeating a modified form of the Athenian oath. In conclusion the chancellor places a freshman cap on the head of a torch bearer, indicating that male members of the class must wear the little caps until the end of the football season.

K. U. points to many illustrious names on its alumni roster, including U. S. Senator William E. Borah of Idaho, Gov. Alf M. Landon, William Allen White, and Gen. Frederick Funston.

On the athletic field K. U. has developed a number of Olympic entrants, including Everett Bradley and Jim Bausch, decathlon contestants and Glenn Cunningham, one of the greatest middle distance runners of all time.

Amos A. Lawrence, who conceived the idea of the University, gave notes and stocks to the amount of $12,000 to be held in trust for the proposed institution. It was first chartered in 1859 as Lawrence University, but this attempt, like several others in the years before Kansas became a State, ended in failure. After Kansas was admitted into the Union plans were revived, and through the efforts of Dr. Charles Robinson, Lawrence was chosen in 1861 as the seat of the State university. An act of the legislature the following year provided for its organization and in September 1866 the first classes were held in Old North College, the University's first building, with an enrollment of 55. In 1938 the University (co-educational) had an enrollment of 5,200. The university has colleges of arts and sciences, law, medicine, pharmacy, education, engineering and architecture, fine arts, business, and a graduate school. The chancellor is its executive head.

The MEMORIAL UNION BUILDING, SW. corner 1 3th St. and Oread Ave. is of modern design constructed of brick and limestone. Pond and Pond of Chicago were the architects. Dedicated in 1927 to former students who lost their lives in the World War, the building, in which are a cafeteria and lounge, is for the use of campus visitors and extra-curricular activities of students. Murals in the lounge are the work of WPA artists of the Federal Art Project.

The DYCHE MUSEUM, NW. corner i4th St. and Oread Ave., was built in the early 1900'$ to house the extensive natural history collection of the late Prof. L. L. Dyche. Constructed of native limestone with white limestone trim and ornamentations of white limestone and brick, the structure is of modified Romanesque style and is adorned with naturalistic carvings of birds and beasts, the work of an Italian stone cutter. Its arched portal, approached by a broad flight of steps, is modeled after that of St. Trophime in Aries in southern France. The building was designed by Root & Seimans of Kansas City, Mo.

The THAYER MUSEUM OF ART, NE. corner 14th St. and Oread Ave., served as the university library from 1894 to 1924. After the completion of the new Watson Library it was remodeled to house the $150,000 art collection, donated to the University by Mrs. Sally C. Thayer of Kansas City, Mo., as a memorial to her husband, the late W. D. Thayer, Kansas City merchant. Constructed of red sandstone, the three floors of the building are utilized to exhibit the collection. In the basement is a display of Indian blankets, baskets, and pottery. The first floor contains a collection of rare volumes, histories of art, reference books on arts and crafts, and a collection of 500 pieces of English porcelain and eighteenth century English glassware. Another collection includes a large exhibit of textiles from many nations, a collection of coins, Japanese lacquer and silverware, and Chinese tapestries. In the central gallery of the second floor is a collection of Japanese prints and Chinese paintings, and in a smaller room is an exhibit of American handicraft including old furniture, coverlets, hooked rugs, and samplers.

At 14th St., Oread Ave. becomes Campus Drive; R. on Campus Drive.

GREEN HALL (R) houses the School of Law. It is a buff colored brick structure with huge stone columns that form a wide front portico approached by a broad flight of stone steps.

In front of the building is a STATUE OF "UNCLE JIMMY" GREEN, dean of the School of Law from 1879 to 1919. The work of the late Daniel Chester French of Stockbridge, Mass., the bronze statue is set on a granite base and represents the dean standing with one of his students.

FRASER HALL (L), the oldest building on the campus, is a gaunt four story structure of native limestone completed in 1872. Its great bulk is topped with twin towers that have almost flat tops and are encircled by iron railings.

On the second floor is the WILCOX MUSEUM, named for Prof. A. M. Wilcox, its founder, who was a professor of Greek for 43 years. It contains facsimile reproductions of various objects of antiquity, a collection of Greek and Roman coins, vases, lamps, articles of dress, specimens of Roman glass, and full-sized plaster casts of the works of noted Greek sculptors.

The PIONEER STATUE, E. of the entrance of Fraser Hall, is a, bronze figure of a pioneer with spade in hand, the work of Frederick G Hibbard of Kansas City, and a gift of Dr. Simeon D. Bell. A marker commemorates the site of the barracks and trenches of 1864, dug in preparation for Price's raid (see HISTORY).

The WATSON LIBRARY, Campus Drive, (L) west of Fraser Hall, is a three-story Bedford limestone structure, Collegiate Gothic in style and designed by Ray M. Gamble, State architect. Completed in 1924, it contains about 291,900 volumes. It was named for Carrie M. Watson, librarian from 1887 until 1921.

HA WORTH HALL, Campus Drive (L), is a two-story native stone structure with shops for students of mining in the rear. It contains the PALEONTOLOGY MUSEUM with a large collection of fossils, most of which came from chalk beds along the Smoky Hill River. There is also a GEOLOGICAL MUSEUM including specimens of igneous and sedimentary rocks, crystals, ores, and building stone.

The ADMINISTRATION BUILDING, (R) across the Drive from Haworth Hall, is of Italian Renaissance design and constructed of brick faced with yellow terra cotta. It is the largest building on the campus, and contains the BRYNWOOD COLLECTION of paintings, loaned to the University by Chester Woodward, Topeka alumnus.

SNOW HALL, Campus Drive (R) just west of the Administration Building, is Collegiate Gothic in design with walls of Bedford limestone. It was completed in 1929 and houses the natural science departments, some departments of the School of Medicine, and the FRANCIS HUNTINGTON SNOW ENTOMOLOGICAL MUSEUM, considered one of the finest insect collections in the United States.

Campus Drive swings N. at the W. end of campus becoming West Campus Rd.;R. on llth St.

MEMORIAL STADIUM (open for athletic events only), main entrance at nth and Alabama Sts., a concrete horseshoe, is the scene of the University of Kansas football games, the Kansas Relays, and the commencement exercises. Completed in 1927, it has a seating capacity of 38,000.

The ROCK CHALK CAIRN, approximately 100 yards south of the stadium on the slope of a hill, is a pile of historic stones including remnants of North College and of old Snow Hall.

NORTH COLLEGE HILL, 9th St., N. end of Mount Oread, is a plateau like elevation bounded by loth, Ohio, and Indiana Sts. Here Old North College, the first building, was erected in 1865. It was torn down in 1923 and replaced by CORBIN HALL, a three-story building of brick and stucco, housing a women's dormitory.

The hill is the scene of noisy pregame football rallies climaxed by the preThanksgiving game ceremony. On the night before the annual Thanksgiving game with the University of Missouri, loyal followers of the Kansas Jayhawks gather around a crackling bonfire and join in the ceremony of burning the Missouri Tiger in effigy.