Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

Geary,formerly known as Davis County,is located in the third tier of counties from the northern boundary line of the State, and in the fifth tier west from the Missouri River. Were the township of Milford, and a small portion from the north of Smoky Hill Township taken from the county, its formation then would be almost square. Milford Township is a tract of land about six miles east and west, and nine miles north and south; that, jutting northward from the northwest corner of the county, projects, as it were, into Riley County, of which it was formerly a part. The map of Davis County bears a strong resemblance to the side wall of a church, with a spire-less belfry built on top of the west corner, Milford Township representing the belfry. Source: Cutler's History of the State of Kansas 

 

County Seat:Junction City

Date organized:1855

County History:

  1. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas, Geary/(Davis-defunct) County 
  2. History of Junction City, Kansas
  3. History of Geary County

Historic Landmarks, State, National: 

  1. Fort Riley
  2. Pawnee and Riley City
  3. Starcke House
  4. Wetzel Cabin

 

County Historical Society:

Geary County Historical Society

 

Websites about the county:

  1. Geary County Government
  2. City of Junction City, Kansas